Friday 10 February 2012

Blackwater Gripped by Winter

Bradwell Marina entrance looking towards Osea Island
Its exactly one week since we had our first snowfall of the 2012 winter and unusual as it is for us to get snow in this part of the UK, even more unexpected is that the temperatures have stayed near to or below freezing for a full week.

So this weekend, unable to do any work on my own little fleet of boats, I took a trip out onto the Dengie peninsula to see a few old friends and chat about the sailing season to come.

As my journey took me beyond Maldon the snow gradually lay heavier on the ground. Boats were cloaked in white. Not that dirty looking snow we see in our towns and cities caused by the fall out from our skies, but a clean, glistening white, not unlike that I saw in the French Alps just a few weeks ago.


 I drove on beyond Steeple, the home of Sailing Miles who introduce newcomers to Essex sailing on the river Blackwater, their boats tucked up ashore undergoing their winter refit, and onto Bradwell marina.

Early Feb 2012 Bradwell Marina
I was surprised to see so many boats still afloat. Last time I was here was the week before christmas when boats were trimmed in fairy lights gently rocking to the parties taking place onboard. But then the weather was mild, and quite a few boats enjoyed sailing out of Bradwell throughout January.

Its a great little Bradwell Marina. The staff are very helpful, nothing is too much trouble and everything they do is done with a smile on their face. A few seasons ago I woke to a flat battery. With a falling tide and only a short opportunity to get over the sill and on my way. The marina manager said 'no problem' and off he went home to get a power pack to give me a jump start, now that's service!

Whilst I was down at the marina I thought I'd take a walk along the sea wall to see how the work was coming along on the removal of the baffle and you can read my report on that in my next blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment